Saturday, September 13, 2008

Tweets for my Peeps!

I seem to be in the same boat alot of people are by falling behind a little. I'm just now getting to posting about Twitter. I signed up for it earlier in the week, and even linked it to my blog along the right hand column. But before commenting on it in a post I wanted to play around with it a bit since I had never used it before (afterall it is play week). Initially, I couldn't really figure out what the purpose was for someone to use the service. Am I really that interesting that people would want to follow me around just to know what I am doing? Do I want people I don't know following me? I'm still a little skeptical about the latter, but the former I have resolved. I've seen several people refer to tweeting as "micro blogging" but I have a different analogy. Simply put, this is web-based texting, except that anyone can see your texts. Instead of sending multiple texts to people I know and care about, and who know and care about me, I can write one Tweet and everyone is updated. My family has recently gone through some medical crises, and we relied on texting to keep everyone up-to-date about what was going on. If we had tweeted instead, more people could have been reached because it isn't limited to the people I know who have cell phones that accept texts. Plus I don't bug anyone that has a cell with those capabilities but who has to pay for the text each time one comes in. After playing with it a little I figured out how to set Twitter up to automatically update my Facebook account too. Pretty cool. I think I am converted, at least for limited uses. My twitter account can be found here.

No comments: