Wednesday, November 5, 2008

MOLDI

I kinda feel like I'm cheating on this one. I have an existing account arleady with MOLDI. I recently came to CML from another local public library system, and I was their MOLDI rep, attending the annual meetings to determine where the focus of the money should be, who was interested in obtaining download stations (so glad to see CML has one in AV at Main!), etc... This is not at all new to me, though I realize there are many who have yet to discover it. For those of us who love to listen to audiobooks the potential for this iniative is exciting. But having been a longtime user of it, I have two quibbles with it. The first is small - is there a worse acronym in the world than "MOLDI"? I keep thinking of bad rhymes with 'old moldy librarian' in them. Not a good image. The second is much larger - and potentially damaging for users - when will iPod users be able to download audiobooks too? I realize that the issue is not with MOLDI itself, and rather with OverDrive who runs the system. But there are so many users they are alienating right from the beginning by not downloading to iPods. Just my thoughts....

No comments: